Thursday, October 6, 2011

Inter Island Event (IIE) 2011
Once a year five islands plus a new one travel to one island to enjoy a day of field games. This year for the first time ever we all went to Matinicus. Each year a different island host the IIE.


All the islands got to Matinicus at about noonish. Monhegan and Cliff islands were the late ones to the party. We all got our tents ready and immediately circled up for announcements. Before we could go and participate in our activities we signed up for, everyone did a group activity. Apparently we were discovering different parts of the world in three groups. Really it was a three teamed game of sardines. The first team who found the hiding group would get a map and a name as a reward.

Group Sardines

After about half an hour of that we moved onto our activities. I forget what the other activities were, but I was excited for capture the flag. As middle schoolers we were big headed and decided we could do without adults. The teams were kids versus adults. Adults won once and kids won once. There were some arguments about the last game, but we all had fun either way.
We were refueled with snacks and moved to our last activity. I think the choices were drumming, castle making, and variety show prep. I was with the variety show prep because I had nothing planned. My friend and I quickly put together a dance to Dynamite by Taio Cruz. This was a fun activity because I got to find the dance in me, cheesy I know but thats what happened.
Dinner was delicious. It was a potluck, but the food was amazing. Between what the other islands brought and the people living there cooked, it was an amazing meal. Dessert was good to although I'm not sure there has ever been a dessert that wasn't appealing.
Time for the big show! The variety show was great. All the acts were fun to watch and if you were preforming it was just as fun. Almost everyone had an act. I enjoyed doing my dance with a few friends. The last act was done and we all had been given awards fitting to our performance. I wonder how that happened? Sneaky teachers.
Bed time. The older kids were supposed to do some star gazing, but I don't know what happened to that. We all got into our respectful tents and went to sleep. . . well most of us did. My friend and I stayed up a little and caught up. A lot of us hadn't seen each other since last May.
Year Book Signing!

Breakfast was nice. We hopped into our activities right away. I think there was mural painting, hiking, and kickball which turned into another series of capture the flag. We were split into more even teams this time although we had less people this time. We had a great time slipping and sliding on the wet grass. I can't remember the scores or points, but we left laughing with each other.
Snacks are a priority at IIE. We all got a snack and started hanging around Matinicus's
playground. Inter Island Year Book got handed out and we were in a frenzy to get everyones
signature. After an hour or so we had to regroup into our circle for last announcements and
goodbyes.

The Jackie Renee

Sadly everything ends. We all walked down to the dock to say goodbye. All kids 5th grade
and down got onto the Sunbeam or the Jackie Renee to go back to there respected islands.
Wait, 5th grade and under only? Yes for the second time in history we had a middle school day.
I'll let someone else write about that. . .



No comments:

Post a Comment